Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pre-Production

"One of life's primal situations; the game of hide and seek. Oh, the delicious thrill of hiding while the others come looking for you, the delicious terror of being discovered, but what panic when, after a long search, the others abandon you! You mustn't hide too well. You mustn't be too good at the game. The player must never be bigger than the game itself." --Jean Baudrillard

Welcome to the official production blog for my new short film, The (Hide And) Seeker!

The (Hide And) Seeker will be a short mockumentary profiling expert hide-and-seek player, Sheridan Dublowsky, and his obsession with the game.

This film is being produced primarily for the purposes of the Campus Movie Fest (http://www.campusmoviefest.com) at NC State, and marks my first narrative short in 3 years not filmed for the purposes of school. After experimenting with documentaries, and writing a few dramatic shorts and one feature-length script, I'm returning to comedy. I am co-leading a team with my friend and former UAB Films Committee Chairman, Ricci Kearney. The final film will be approximately 5 minutes long (the festival limit), though I might also edit a slightly longer version.

The festival officially kicks off on Wednesday, September 10, and teams are only allowed to film 10% of their submissions before then. I'll have until September 16 to film and edit. Until then, things are going to be pretty hectic!

The script has been finished, though Ricci and I are still tinkering with it. We'll probably end up writing and filming more scenes than necessary, and then figuring out what works and what doesn't in the editing room.

We've cast four roles so far, and are still looking for people to fill the other three. There are a few locations chosen, but Ricci and I will be taking a few hours in the next few days to scout for some more. I'm also in the process of working out a shooting schedule and a detailed shot list. I want to be as prepared as possible before entering production, since there won't be much time to waste.

I'm excited. Just one week left until filming!

No comments: